Saturday, September 18, 2010

Forgiving delinquency

That is what I am hoping for anyways, that you forgive my blogging delinquency. Not sure where all the time is flying off to, but it seems to be doing just that. The girls were under the weather over the weekend and I took them to the Dr. Tues, so that was some of it. They are both doing great now. Some more time escaped as I made these.

Mom has had this material for forever, or at least a couple of decades, so she let me have it. It is not the exact same color of our living room, but we figured it was close enough to compliment our new color. The cushions were dark forest green and blue plaid that really didn't go, so I made covers for them and also used antique buttons from mom's treasure trove of sewing accessories. It was fun because I remember some of the buttons from clothes or things long ago. I had enough material left that I made a couple of bags too. One big enough for just my wallet, keys, phone and the other with room for a book and diaper too.








I also do this on weekdays. No not follow my kids around town, but pick up Ivan from school. I walk and Dominique rides her bike up. So far, Emora is always asleep so we let her rest to the delightful sound of Brian ripping out walls (yep, she does sleep through the banging and saws cutting through metal and wood!) Before you say how cute this picture is, I'll forewarn you that it is deceptively innocent. They are holding hands, but the reason is that we were finding a lot of change on the sidewalk and Ivan didn't want Dominique to find them before him, so he suggested they hold hands!


I've also been admiring the changing colors in the trees. The hills are resplendent with their fall wardrobe and the air is quite nippy.

We keep trying to go here and each time we are shocked by the cold. The view is still breathtaking, but now so is the wind.

Today we went to this beach with my cousin Janet and her duo, but on our way, we found out there was a parade going through town so we went to that first. Every ride threw handfulls of candy to our kids, so they learned how to run out into the street by the cars and pick up sugar from strangers. They enjoyed the experience thoroughly and I've got a good stash started to regift for Halloween. Janet told me she gets about 300 kids each year! That's 3 to 6 times what we got on Briarwood Street in Abilene. Not sure we'll have that many on Craigleith, but we'll see.

4 comments:

GMS said...

You're forgiven (by me any way).
I don't have any idea how you do all that you do.
Great pictures and story.

Kimberley said...

You're already planning for Halloween? You must have 3 kids! At our last house we would get over 100 kids. In this neighbourhood we get a maximum of 15 (but now that I've published that number we're sure to get twice as many!).

Anonymous said...

I so want a hand-sown bag from you. They look totally cool with the old buttons and the green is just great.

I love Ivan, he's so smart with all the things he's doing. ;)

And you are not the only one thinking about Halloween. This is the real first time for me and I'm all excited about it.

Ian said...

In 1962 when my dad moved the family to Sutherland (a suburb of Saskatoon) we would get about 300 kids on Halloween. However, that was about the peek and it became less and less until only about 30 came the last year that he was there about 25 years later.