Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spring forward






It's hard to imagine that just a few weeks ago, we were having snowball fights. Emora did not like getting hit in the head. I don't blame her. We ran into our neighbors Jaime and her brother, so we let them get in on the action and before we knew it, even Big Buddy became a part of the fight. I think it's been a few years since he was in a snowball fight. He was well protected behind his glass door shield. He doesn't get out much, and then it's always just to the doctor's office, so we thought a little diversion would spice up his day. After this, the kids managed to make a snowman family to set on Big Buddy's ramp, which greeted him the next day before they melted off into their watery grave a day later.

Now it is totally spring. Nice and hot with trees budding and the world waking to a new season. I'm sad in a way to not buy our traditional hanging baskets, since the birds always nest in them. I saw a couple of birds flying onto our porch, which I was sure was a signal that they were looking for our beautiful floral arrangements to destroy with a nest and babies.

We changed our clocks tonight in the strange ritual of day light savings. Having grown up in SK, I had never heard of this quirk and when I first did as an adult living in Manitoba, I didn't believe it. I thought the other students were playing a practical joke on me when they said to change the time on my clock. "How could you just change the time? It's like gravity, you can't just change it"- I replied. Little did I know at the time... Now I wonder if this is the last time I will hunt down clocks to spring forward or fall back as we reenter the place where time does not change.

Dad, on the previous post, we transformed our snowcowboy into a bird bath and tunnel, so perhaps you could call it a bird quinzee? Yeah, Ivan is looking forward to a real quinzee and is determined to have 5 snowmen, one for each person in our family, so I'm thinking we will have a heavy load of snow building come winter in Canada. Better schedule some time to come visit. We may need some grandpa assistance with an experienced quinzee builder.

What's your favorite part of spring?

3 comments:

GMS said...

Lilacs and forsythia and pussy willows. And not needing to shovel and bundle up.

Kimberley said...

I think SK has the right idea. The war's been over for more than 60 years, it's time to abandon Daylight Savings Time. It's amazing how many clocks we have!

Ian said...

(There are several variations of the spelling of quinzy.) But they are an important survival method if you are caught outdoors in a blizzard. Apparently your Great-grandpa Peter Jelsing had to dig a hole in a snowbank when he got lost in a blizzard to stay in overnight. He walked home in the morning. Good thing too or we all might not exist!