Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Read to the dogs



The library has a special event that they run periodically- super sweet therapy dogs and their owners come so that kids can read to the dogs. Ivan and Dominique used a library book that they had practiced some at home and did such a wonderful job. At first Ivan was shy, but then he got right into it and read to 4 dogs. Of course Dominique was not shy and volunteered to go first. Emora added her own flavor to the event with her screaming and trying to open the dogs mouths or at times, sweetly petting them.



We also had our last swim lesson and the kids both passed. They can now swim a few feet on their own, so that is a great foundation. I just didn't know how to get them to the place where they didn't need arm floats anymore. I still won't let them in without someone right there to make sure they are doing ok, because it is so tiring and they can't go far, but it's a start.


I am subbing a ton of water aerobic classes right now and my body is feeling it. It feels good actually and I'm sleeping like a ton of bricks, which is what my muscles feel like. My knee is doing great, so I'm super happy about that. I guess the shot and meds did the trick.

Grandpa Ray arrives tomorrow and the kids are so excited. Dominique was being a fuss as I tried to get her to bed. She asked, "does daddy's dad come in the morning?", I replied, "Grandpa Ray will arrive in the afternoon". Her face burst into a big smile and she snuggled down in her blankets without another complaint.

5 comments:

Ian said...

Whoever thought of kids reading to dogs to help motivate children to read must be a kid at heart. Congratulations to your library. Good job Dominique and Ivan on both your reading and your learning to swim. Your grandpa Ian didn't learn to swim until age 10 and your great-uncle Peter didn't learn until age 8 (actually on the exact same day in a swim class.)

GMS said...

Grampa Ray is equally as excited to be getting to spend some great quality time with all 3 grandkids. ENJOY!!!!

Olivia said...

Yeah, I LOVE IT! That makes me so happy! The diggity dogs are the best.

Anonymous said...

We run to the goal,we scoop we pour.What books are those?
Emora is doing just what you used to do to Geta.The diggest dog was my favorite to read to you kids mom.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

One read a book about soccer and the other one about making pizza. They also switched books out. Yeah, I loved the digginest dog, I remember reading it to Andrew.