Friday, March 05, 2010

Last week snow, this week shorts


If all goes according to plan, which is to move in June, we made ourselves a pretty ideal year. A mild Texan winter with 3 occurences of snow, enough to get to taste it (literally) without having to subject ourselves to miserable temps and arduous dressing sessions to go outside, beautiful Texan spring, fabulous Canadian spring and perfect summer without the 100plus degrees, hiding in air conditioned places, then a pretty fall with changing colors. We'll call that the perfect year, since after that I will be rudely awakened to the fact that I have returned back to a deep freeze. I am hoping that the winter will woo me with it's beauty and charm, Ivan is quite looking forward to building an igloo and 5 snowmen. But in the meantime, I can regal myself in the fact that I get to experience a perfect year, with seasons and not overly ridiculous temps. Who can claim that?



The pics here are from our second snow. The shots include Emora's first time to touch the snow. Do you notice what happens when a mom has a digital camera? Compassion is gone when there is a picture to shoot. Instead of bursting to her aid as I saw her stumble bare hands into the snow, I snapped a shot, then as she wailed in misery, I took another picture of her cute little handprints in the snow. I did notice that when it snowed last week and we got a serious dump to play in, she was not at all impressed and basically cried the morning away with us outside. She remembered all too well that she was not overly fond of the wet, cold stuff. Then when I tried to endear myself to her like I did the other kids with hot chocolate milk, I discovered that she doesn't like chocolate milk! Can you believe it? She does like warm regular milk though, so I guess I'll just have to have her chocolate for her.

Today the kids wore shorts and summer sleeveless dresses! This was our first real shorts day and the kids were so overjoyed. Everyday they ask to wear shorts. Ivan wears flipflops and t-shirts year round as it is, but it really felt like spring today.




Dominique describes what snow tastes like





Saba in winter training for our upcoming move to Canada

1 comment:

Ian said...

I liked the video of Saba catching snow.