Tuesday, March 24, 2009

First fall

Yesterday was a bit rough. The worst of it was when Emora fell off the day bed! Yep, you read right. I was working on the computer getting a craft ready for the kids and the siblings weren't even messing with her when I heard a thump and cry and looked to her where she was suddenly on the floor. I am so thankful that she is OK. It appears as though she did a break fall, landing on her back, on the carpet. She could have fallen head first, or landed on her face, but it's like angels softened her blow by having her land just right. She screamed like crazy and finally finished with those hiccupy sobs, after quite a while. I watched her all day and she was smiling, playing, nursing as usual, so now I just know not to prop her up anymore. I don't know if she is getting to the start of learning to roll or if she was tilted on the pillows, or if her jerky movements gave her the momentum to topple over, but it was not a good thing, especially with her being so young.

To her advantage is the fact that she is so huge. I had a baby party for the ladies who gave birth in our last water aerobics class. Emora was by far the youngest at not quite 2 months. The others were twice or triple her age, but she didn't look all that much smaller comparatively. She is the one with her arms up.

And of course, we have a house full of Doctors. Ivan and Dominique have moved on from doctoring the dolls to Emora as their favorite patient. Of course she plays right along, opens her mouth for anything and everything.



The other rough part of yesterday was that Ivan and Dominique have discovered the joys of sibling rivalry. All day, Ivan was taking something that Dominique wanted or that she had deemed as "hers" and running away while she screamed and cried uncontrolably, chasing him as he egged her on. It wasn't all him though. At one point, she borrowed his sandals, but when he put hers on, she cried, yelled, screamed and the chase was on once again.

I guess that's just a part of being siblings... you love each other and you love getting the other all riled up. As I was praying that night for them to have peace and treat each other with love, Dominique kicked Ivan in the face and he slapped her across the face, so I said enough with that, get in bed, tomorrow is a new day.

Would you believe that today they have been getting along and decided they wanted to take wipes and clean the house? They spent a good 30 minutes wiping doors, window sills and entry ways while I nursed Emora. Now they are "helping" daddy fix a baby swing that was given to us. I can hardly believe it is the same children.






Here's a video of swimming in Feb. It was actually hotter the next day, but we stayed in the cool house then.

4 comments:

Carebear said...

your commentary on the movie is funny...you're like, "so...i decided....that they could swim"
so weird to be swimming outside in feb! it's march 24 and it's -25 with the STUPID wind...did i say stupid, sorry....

so sad when they fall off the bed. Most of my kids did (blush)
Caleb lost a front tooth (baby tooth) by falling off his bed when he was 3. He would kick himself off of things.

Anonymous said...

Well, she landed more or less softly and I hope it wasn't too high. Plus, you watched her all day long and I guess you will for some more time. Not too much fun if that happens but you can't prevent everything. Maybe you could, if you would have at least 8 arms and 4 pairs of eyes...but you would look weird. :D

Btw, that sibling thing...it stays, but you know that. Actually, it will be different since Ivan is the older and having and older brother is different than having a sister.
I just know that I was fighting with my brother until I left for America. So about 18 years. Enjoy! :D ;)

Davis Family said...

I love the dirty rascal bit - my kids learned that from Robert Munsch! Thanks Mr.writer man.

I was so thrilled when my kids were able to play together - little did I know. They will play nicely for a bit and then everything goes south in a blink of an eye.

Sorry to hear about Emora's fall - I did that with Gavin when he was only a couple months old. I think I cried longer than he did.
Blessings on your little bunch!

Anonymous said...

How fortunate for Emora that she has a house full of doctors ready, willing and able? to check her out. Kids in families always seem to push their sibs buttons. I know we did in my family. When Emora get big enough to join in the button pushing you'll find they usually gang up 2 to 1. It's not always the same 2 that switches from one to the other. Great fun!! I remember my brother jumping our older sister one morning on her way to school because she got too bossy with us. Never tick the others off when your on your way to the bus stop for school.