Monday, August 25, 2008

the mystery of the phone

This is a true happenstance from this afternoon. We are having a good day. I'm finishing reading the 9th library book to the kids who are sitting and listening. The phone rings. I set down the next book and get the phone. Within seconds Ivan is screaming "my butt is wet" which I have learned means a battle of the potty is ensuing, where I try to get him to sit and poop in the potty and he avoids it at all cost, wanting to use an entire roll of paper wiping his butt, but not sitting and getting it over with. I notice that Micah has portions of a necklace of Dominique's and that little plastic, swallable hearts are strewn over three rooms of the house. As I try to answer the questions and lead an intelligible quick conversation while picking up a hundred little hearts, and taking away three other necklaces in a battle of the wills from little toddlers, Dominique says something about the potty. By this time (2 minutes) I am winding up the conversation, and have picked up all the little hearts. Ivan is still hollering and I discover that Dominique has pooped in her underwear. I clean her up, her underwear up, she goes potty and I find that Micah is also poopy, so I change his diaper. All because the phone rang!

Maybe we should ban them. It never fails. The house falls apart when the thing rings. When I hung it up, Ivan decided his bum was no longer wet, Dominique was in a fresh set of underwear, breakables were safely put up, all butts were clean and dry and they were ready for another story.

On the good side. Ivan did have 2 potty victories today and Dominique did number 2 in the potty for the first time and peed in it all of today and yesterday. She probably wouldn't have had her accident if it wasn't for the phone! She's been in new underwear for 2 days now and is so proud of herself.

Pics from the African wedding, that I ended up translating for. Ivan took the pic of me and Brian all by himself. He loves taking pictures. And a pic from Nana's quick visit last week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can tell there is never a dull moment at your house!!!
Sharon

Ian said...

That was a great outfit that you were wearing Angela. It reminds me of some of the outfits that some of our Africans wear almost every Sunday.

GMS said...

Just wait till you're nursing again! Then it's really fun, and I am kidding.
Every time the phone would ring, whatever baby I was nursing would get into position, fully knowing it was the best way to keep them quiet.

jenn with two n's said...

My sister is gorgeous!

Lin said...

You are so true! It never fails, I could be quietly sitting there with the girls they are contently doing their own thing when the phone rings and all hell breaks loose! Jac and Harley start fighting over something (anything usually) and then they both try to tackle me and don't you find it worse when it is a long distance call, lol!

Gabita said...

Hermosas fotosssssssssssss
Saludos y besos