Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween with two


The festivities have started. Fall has been really fun this year. Ivan gets into everything so much more now that he is two. Every time he sees a candle he sings happy birthday, or even just to make someone feel special. For Halloween, we carved and painted pumpkins (painted 4, carved one) and roasted pumpkin seeds (ummmm delicious). I wasn't sure if Ivan would wear his costume, but once he saw his friend Ale in her costume, he thought it was all great.


Ivan was my birthday present. Get it? Since he was born on my birthday. I figured this would be the only year I would get away with dressing him like that. Dominique was a butterfly. She went dressed up to a baby boast party with the other moms and babies from our swim class, so she got to wear her costume twice.


Ivan enjoyed the trick-or-treating. He wasn't even scared by all the adults who think it's hillarious to terrify little kids (when did this start? I thought the kids did the tricks. Lots of adults were dressed up scary- they wouldn't have needed the make-up though, nowadays any adult coming after a little kid like they were is scary). Ivan gobbled up a bunch of candy and the neighbor shared hotdogs and chips with us. Another neighbor gave us cake. It's a good thing we started the evening with a veggie tray, I had the feeling things were going to get really unhealthy. Sure enough, by the end of the night, Ivan was spinning in circles and singing and jumping up to answer the door. He loved all the hoopla. It's sad that we have to have an event like halloween to all get out as families and meet people and give to each other.

We had a record amount of kids (140). Before the most we'd had was 104 two years ago. Last year was our smallest crowd with 64. I had about 15 candies left! I thought I'd have to dig into Ivan's stash, or send him up to gather some so that we could give it out! How would that be for recycling!!

Did you do anything special for halloween?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I had no class on Halloween which was nice. I could get ready for it for some time. No pumpkin carving or anything.

But here in Derry Halloween is big. They had a parade and fireworks. All people were out on the street, dress up, also the little ones. It was such a blast, walking the streets, check the other costums, talking to random people.

I think I got back home by 2 or something like that. Was great craic as they say.

Anonymous said...

We had a great time "Trick or Treating" as a kid going all over the neighborhood. We would go for blocks and blocks. Also pass along the houses that had "good" treats. Especially the people that gave money. Getting nickles or dimes was a big thing since most of us came from poor families. All of our costumes were put together with things from around the house. I guess that's the reason I always went all out to make Brian's costumes. Getting home and checking our collection for the night, The Best activity.

Ian said...

Did you get your pattern off the internet? I did and used a simple pattern to carve a small pumpkin in a hurry. We had all of 7 children show up for treats. Oh well, I guess I'll have to help out eating all those OHenry bars!
When I was a kid a group of us would run to every house in town (Ceylon, SK) and fill up a pillow case full of candy. I would eat mine in three to five days; then I would scratch my hives for several more days.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

dad- candy gives people hives? I didn't know that. I have realized that it gives daily power struggles and crying fits. I'm often tempted to ditch his entire bag in the trash! I just carved the face, no template- that's what imagination is for! sorry you had so few kids. If you're really worried about all that candy, I could help you get rid of some chocolate :)

Nana- we had a neighbor who gave out nickles too. I don't know why that was so exciting.

Andrea- parade and fireworks? that would be so fun. with halloween being so unheathy and dark and scarry, I think it would be good to get creative and recreate it a bit. I do love how it brings people together and out and meeting others.