Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Roots

We are back safe and mostly sound from Houston- a small respite as we get things together here so we can head up to the snowy white North. I have lots of stories and photos to share, but I'll just start here with a small smattering (that's my English brogue, the Baggetts are English, from England and we're talking about roots here, but on the Weaver side and although I read all about the Weavers from a crest on the wall, I really can't remember much except that they weaved!)














I asked my mother-in-law (aka Nana) how it was that her genes dominated over all the genes in the mix of who would become my children. At different moments, people say our kids look like... (pick a grandparent or parent), but usually they mention my or Brian's mom. I think they favor Nana the most and here's the definitive picture to demonstrate. This is a photo of Nana as a girl I'm guessing about a year old and her look-alike grandaughter.

Last year the pictures were horrible since Ivan screamed and Andrew wouldn't cooperate. This year, Ivan didn't want to be in the picture, but I stuck him in anyways. Dominique was totally content, even though Christian wasn't exactly a pro baby holder. Andrew is doing pretty good here, he's matured some in the last year. I guess we all have.

The group shots were really pretty amazingly good. From left to right: Brian, Angela, Ivan & Dominique Baggett with Brian's mom Nana Glenn, then Amy (Terry's daughter) and her two kids Christian and Andrew then Terry Glenn (aka Pawpaw).

Do you favor a certain relative or have features from someone? I am a mix of my two parents. I have dad's skin type, mom's skin tone and curly hair, dad's thick hair, dad's features and height, mom's dark eyes. My weirdest biological root is from a great grandparent (Dad's mom's dad's). He gave me my pointy ears.

2 comments:

jenn with two n's said...

The similarities are undeniable! Does your girl know how photogenic she is? So glad your back safely. We are looking forward to the trip you will take to visit us. Hopefully you'll have enough time to rest as home before the long drive. We love you.

Anonymous said...

My "favourit" relativ is my aunt on my moms side. She lives close to us and she is a good friend to me. I think I have her energy because my mom always clomplains about that.
I think I am my fathers daughter because I have is eyes and featurs. I have his blond hair, which he hasn't anymore.
And there are features that I have from my grandfather on my mother side. Like being not ver patient sometimes and stuff.
But there are also things no one knows where I have that from. I can't think of an example right now. *g*