Thursday, June 15, 2006

Shocked and surprised!

I couldn't believe it. This just in. Maybe an hour ago, we were at Big Buddy's. Ivan brought me 5 candies, so I thought we'd count them. I counted to five with him then he said "six, seven, eight, nine, t--yeah!" No joke! I asked Brian if he'd been counting with Ivan and he said just to five and so have I. He knows 1, 2, 3 pretty good, 'cause it's often associated with something quite memorable (like time out or a spank), but we've only been going to 5 since that's all we thought we should start with (I've gone to ten a few times on his fingers). Brian said he has lots of books that have "one cake, two dogs..." up to 10 or 12, but none of them just count straight out. I'm still blown away, but when he saw how pleased we were with him, he kept saying "7,8,9", which I guess are his favorites. Quite a bit better than 1,2,3 anyways!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!! How big! Maybe he's advanced so you can relax when little sister comes along! ;)

Ian said...

I'm glad that Ivan has parents who are so willing to teach literacy skills at such a young age. I wanted to learn stuff early but my dad kept saying, "Wait for grade one when you go to school." My mom taught school but she was probably to tired and not in the mood to spend time teaching the toddlers at home any school stuff.(I do remember the countless hours she spent reading to us though.)

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Thanks all, we are pretty proud to say the least. Thanks for your comments dad and for adding the personal tidbits. I'm learning a lot about the differences in your growing up and your raising us, which is fun to hear about.