Friday, June 16, 2006

done and done!

The reading nook is finally done! Hurray! I actually found a huge error after I thought it was done, but I glued over it and you can only find it if you are looking for it! I ran into several snags at the end that neither running to neighbors or calling dad at home seemed to help. It ended up that Meredith had to come to my rescue again and lend me a huge, scary power tool, an air compressor, which shoots little staples out at dangerous speeds to far out, unknown destinations like eyes and other body parts if not handled properly. It made Ivan cry just to hear the loud motor come on. It was an amazing machine, but we sent it back to it's home as quick as we could!


So, here's the finished product, from idea on paper, to cardboard replica and now a functioning piece.







It opens up to fit tons of toys, huge books and games. It could hide a small child quite easily (although this is not recommended). It has a book shelf for short and tall books and can be sat on to read that captivating book one more time.








Yeah!!! Now we are hanging decorations, reorganizing and trying to undig baby stuff. Jamie, featured with Ivan in the shots, came from down the street to hang-out and got dragged into the role of moving lady. She was great help and so was Ivan, putting toys and books up!

Brian said he's glad I'm not someone who starts out with good intentions, then leaves half finished jobs all over. I could never do that. I'm a product person. I don't enjoy the process so much, I always want to get to the grand finish, which I guess is good in projects like these, but not so much in the journey of character building and life journeying which has more to do with process and relationship (or should) than product and tasks. Do you enjoy process? Do you finish jobs or have a bunch of ideas and start, but don't finish? I do have a bunch of ideas that have never come to fruition, but once I get materials and start, it will get done, whether it turns out good or not is another matter!

3 comments:

Janet said...

What a wonderful project! If you don't mind me copying, I might get Ian to make Kellen something similar! I love it!

Ian said...

Your grandpa MacLeod was a carpenter and his expression was, "The only difference between a good carpenter and a bad one is that the good carpenter knows how to cover up his mistakes."

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Yes, all big projects are done including room set ups. The week is going to fly by now, but no more stress with stuff to do ;)

Janet, go right ahead, but be warned, it took a long time!

dad- there were mistakes a plenty, but Meredith made me feel good since he made some too! None are too drastic though, I hope!