Friday, June 09, 2006

In progress...



I'm working on the last big project and hope to be done with it by the end of the weekend, although each time I think a step will take me a few hours, it ends up taking WAY longer! I'm excited to have it finished soon. Projects like these seem to go the same way all the time with me. At first it is really daunting like looking down a sheer drop off they call a black diamond run and thinking there is no way I can do that. It takes me a while to work up the courage to start, but then I get going and it's fun and it's not as hard as I thought, but it is long and tiring and by the end I think I'll never do that again, or at least not for a while. You are happy with the product, but realize why people spend a fortune on stuff like this instead of going the cheapo version and doing it themselves.

I do have to say that it is coming out way better than it might have were it not for my kind neighbor, Mr Meredith. He is a cabinet maker and helped me figure out parts of it (like that the hinges could not be put on the inside or the doors wouldn't open!), he sold me some of his top quality wood (birch) instead of having to settle for cheap Home Depot plywood, he spent an entire day cutting pieces for me on his table saw, (for free) when he initially thought it would only take 30 min. and even cut new cupboard doors for me when I accidentally told him the wrong measurement and we cut them too small. He has also offered to cut (he calls it rip) a new piece for a door that is warped, but I told him that it's not a big deal (at least it has one imperfection that was not my fault!!!) But as my dad used to say, you won't see it from the road. Of course no one will be looking at this from far away, but I think it's allright.


Ivan has been a challenge, working around his schedule, chasing down tools he's carried off, retrieving a hundred screws out of the grass (a couple of times) and trying to be sure he doesn't get in the way of something dangerous like the ancient, hard to control jig saw Big Buddy lent me (my recharger died!) In the meantime, I've learnt that he's been watching and learning. He picked up a piece of sandpaper and started sanding the reading nook/toy chest. He puts the drill up to it and loves the measuring tape!

I'll try to post a video of him sanding soon. I caught him in the act!

1 comment:

GMS said...

That looks like some great big project all right!!
Good thing you have some help, especially from Ivan. That way he'll feel more a part of the whole process and may take better care of the finished product.