Sunday, December 04, 2005

Nobody told me!



I didn't realize that a few snips of some scissors would steal my baby from me and return to me a toddler! Ivan has a friend a month older than him who has had several hair cuts from as early as 4 months old, but while Ivan was born with a full head of hair, his first year he's had many folically challenged moments.... So, it wasn't until today that I finally decided it was time to do something about the hair dangling over his ears and down his neck. I've thought this for a while. The timeliness of this first cut has nothing to do with the fact that a small town librarian asked if Ivan was a boy or a girl. I mean, she probably spends way too much time with books and little interaction with babies, I mean toddlers. She may be color blind too, 'cause Ivan was wearing all dark blue, sporty looking clothes. But this has nothing to do with her comment. Nothing at all.

I just trimmed the slightest bit off the sides and back, because he still has just a few artistic looking strands in front. It probably didn't help that we dressed him in these super preppy clothes my neighbor got him at a garage sale (they were brand new, $33 off the original price!) The back of his hair looks ok. Ivan wouldn't hold still, so the cut is a little less than perfect, but thanks to his natural waves, you can't really tell that one side is a bit higher than the other. I could do worse, like put his shoes on the wrong feet. (I'll be more careful about that from now on.)

So anyways, I trimmed and my first thought was "wow, he looks good". Then it was "wait, where's my baby?" As if to prove his growing up, Ivan decided (right after his hair cut) that he didn't need to hold his arms up above his head to walk anymore. Coincidence? I think not. It was all those scissors' fault! Now he just walks around, like a little boy, types on the computer and talks on the phone. Who told us to cherish the moments because time flies? (Oh, yeah, everyone).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll say what everyone else will tell you. This stage is to be as highly treasured as the previous stage of Ivans life. It won't last long either.

I believe this post answers questions from two previous post. When Ivan was holding objects up to the side of his head, dropping them, and crying, well! if you were in a strange world where you couldn't speak the language, what motion would you ape if you wanted a hair cut? And wouldn't it make you just want to cry if you couldn't make anyone understand? Oh, and the audio post! Well! Listen to it again. Tell me he's not saying "Mom I'm starting to look like a girl here. Please cut my hair".

See I really did understand!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

you crack me up! Brian comes by his humor honestly! Coming in a post soon... a new game Brian invented that makes Ivan roll on the floor laughing! Watch for the next volume of the Ivan funnies. I'll have to change that name with a number 2 on the way. Any ideas?

Anthony Parker said...

Hi Angela--

Great to hear from you. By the way, the "fateful summer" was 1995. This is 2005.

It took me a little while to find your blog. I originally left most of this comment on my own blog, hoping you would wander back there.

I knew you had been in Abilene, but weren't sure where you were now. Just saw the Burks last week at the sports camp in Kara. Here's a quick run down on the others --

Andrew -- married Pulcherie from Benin and now living in Arkansas; possibly headed for Uganda; 2 kids.

Jana -- left W. Africa because of bad health and now studying nursing at home in Ohio.

Sondra -- married Brian Davis; they were missionaries in S. Africa for several years; recently moved to Zambia; 2 kids.

Andy & Rhonda -- Andy is asst. principle at the school he dropped out of in Cleburne, TX; have been part of a church plant in Ft. Worth area; heard recently they may be moving back to Abilene; 2 kids.

I guess you know Tod remarried and they have another son. He's doing an amazing ministry in the New Orleans area in the wake of Katrina -- follow the "Tammany Oaks Katrina Relief" link.

God has spread us to the four winds, aye? But he's doing his will in all of our lives.

Get my contact info at http://www.harvestfields.net/claypot/contact , and let me know how to contact your directly. We have lots of friends in Abilene and hope to come out your way when we get to the States next year.

Oh, you have a beautiful little boy who you have every right to be obsessed with.

Anonymous said...

He looks so cute. And I like the fancy clothes. That's exactly what you should do after a first hair cut: get dressed up and get a picture to show to everyone. He looks like a big boy now.

That remindes me of my second cousin (or do you call it great cousin?). Last time I saw him he was 2 years old and now he is 4. It's amazing what he can do now and how much he talks and so on. It hurts a bit too that I haven't seen him for so long.

So, time is important an precious. And I think you both make the best out of it with writing this Blog.