Friday, December 09, 2005

baby #2

We had our first doctor visit regarding this pregnancy and got to see our little baby in utero too! I was surprised the doctor would do a sonogram the first visit, but when she heard how big Ivan was at birth, I think it made her a little nervous. She said she didn't like delivering babies that big. I'm thinking... "who's really delivering this baby anyways? I did ok with it, so I'm sure you can handle it too! I mean really, who is most affected here!" So, the sonogram allowed her to move the due date up a week or so, because of course the baby is "big" already! What do you expect with two 6 foot parents? Our official due date is July 3rd. We won't be hitting either of our birthdays, but now the race is on to see who's country's birth is our target. Since Ivan came a day early and the doctor already threatened inducing, I figure Canada Day already has the upper hand!

I thought seeing a sonogram wouldn't be as exciting since we've seen them before, but that was not the case. It was almost more amazing since I really know what a baby is like now and yet here I was seeing this one at such an early stage, swimming, heart pumping, waving his/her arms, moving, scratching his/her face and putting on a show for his/her delighted family. Ivan was pointing at the screen and yelling. Don't let the fuzzy picture fool you, there are no boy parts showing, that's the umbilical cord between his/her legs.

Seeing the baby helped make this seem more real to us. With Ivan, we're pretty busy and I don't have the time I did without him to read books and think about the pregnancy, so I often don't think about all the implications. But seeing the baby moving was very exciting and helped us focus in on the new little one.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so my guessed date is out of the contest now. *grrr* But anyway, I like those little pictures a lot. I remeber seeing the video of Ivan moving. Do you remember that? It was amazing and you know, I look forward to have one of my own, which will take some more years of course ;)

But I still say it will be a girl and she will be 31 cm and 3300g. Please figure out yourself how much that is in your measurment.

Kimberley said...

Congratulations again. Even I could recognize that you have a baby in the photo!

I do have some advice for raising your second born (and I think that perhaps Auntie Jen will agree with me):

1. Make sure you take as many photos of baby #2 as you did with Ivan. I don't just mean photos of the 2 of them together either.

2. Fill out baby #2's baby book in it's entirety.

3. When baby #2 is older, make sure that s/he gets his/her own first bike and not a hand me down.

I speak as a second born who is more understanding now, but still a little bitter that my older sibling's baby photo album is full, while mine has only 2 pages of photos, and whose baby book only has my birthdate, weight and length filled in!

Anonymous said...

We don't need to do any of that nonsense for #2. Doing without things like photos will make them more tough.

...on second thought...every second born I've ever know was more WHINEY.

Hmmmmm...it's a tough call...

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Should we ban Brian from the comments page? I can do that you know!!! We here you Kim, only the doc. already screwed it up. We have all of Ivan's sonograms on video, but I didn't bring it because I was sure she wouldn't do one the first time to see her. I mentioned that we didn't have a video and she said the baby was so small we wouldn't see much, we saw EVERYTHING! Oh, well. We are going to get to video at least one, she promised.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

I converted the numbers you gave me and they make a small baby! 12.2inches and 7.2 lbs. That would probably make for an easier delivery than Ivan and would make my doctor sweat less too! Thanks Andrea for your vote of confidence (but I think you're way off, if you wanted my opinion, which you probably didn't)

Anonymous said...

Since this is your blog your opinion is important you know.

Thanks for the conversion and I thought so. You know, I was about that size at my birth and as fare as I know it that is average.

To be honest, when I converted Ivan's messurments I was shocked. I never heard of such a baby.

But maybe I am right. If it's a girl she is very likely to be less then Ivan. So we will see what happens.

Jenni said...

This is ALL so exciting! I am so happy for you guys! I know Ivan will be a wonderful big brother