Wednesday, November 30, 2005

What on earth was God thinking?

Does anyone else find it extremely dangerous and outragous to send small fragile, incredibly shapeable and moldable babies home with totally untrained, unexperienced and new (as in a few hours new) parents? We've been at this a little over a year and I still think it is an incredibly risky tactic...

Brian's confession...

He was getting the bath water ready for Ivan and turned around to discover that Ivan had gone off exploring. The water was still running and Brian turned to see legs in the tub! Ivan had crawled head first into the tub with his clothes on! Forget that slow daddy! Ivan was on his belly, making swimming motions and getting his clothes all wet.


Angela's confession...

I was on the computer e-mailing when I heard Ivan crash and cry in the kitchen. I quickly got up and ran to soothe him, but when I took him out of the kitchen, he kept crying and fighting me. This went on for several minutes and I kept asking him what was wrong. I'm sure this infuriated him even more since he can't talk yet. Finally, I clued in that he fell in the kitchen, by the table, by the sippy cup! "Do you want a drink?", I asked. He instantly became happier, hopeful and delightedly relieved. Maybe there is hope after all for this mom. I mean, we've been through this many, many times before, but this time it only took her about 20 minutes while Ivan had to suffer the throes of parchness and misunderstanding. Ivan does have a back-up plan. I'm sure he fell trying to get on the table so he could help himself. Forget that slow momma!

Brian's bad influence...

We go to the Christmas parade and Brian can not resist yelling out protests to the float featuring an energy company which is increasing their rates this winter. Other parents say "hey kids, look at the horsies". Brian says, with dripping sarcasm, "yeah, merry Christmas to you too, thanks for the rate hike!"


Angela's bad influence...

Angela terrorizes the dog by chasing her with Ivan's walker, causing the dog to jump up onto the furniture to avoid the scarry mom-gone-crazy-crashing-in-to-me-with-the-walker combo. Ivan's humor must be like his mom's, because he found this totally hillarious.

So, what was God thinking?
-watch this guys, this will be hillarious. We're going to have ourselves some FUN these next 20 years or so.
-this will definitely help with their arrogant, we've got everything figured out attitude, they'll come crying to me in about 30 seconds.
-now they'll know how I feel when they are bone-headed with me!
-now they'll know how much I delight in their love to me.
-I can not think of a greater gift I can give these two: the joys, the surprises, the laughter and fun, the tenderness, the trials, the stretching, growing, learning and loving.

3 comments:

GMS said...

And another to join the fun and love. God seems to always know what He is thinking and what is best. We just don't get it sometimes, though.

Anonymous said...

Number one of your suggestions is my favourit. I am sure he was thinking that and is rolling around on the carpet because you two are so funny.
Seriously, I don't know what he was thinking but he did a great job with creating Ivan. And little Ivan can be lucky to have such great parents, even when they are too slow for him.

Kimberley said...

It can't be all bad. In a year or two he'll be talking so much that you'll wish that he's just be quiet for a while! What was your nickname in high school after all?