Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The joy of discovery


Sometimes we adults forget how fun it is to learn something new. Ivan and every baby and young child I know is totally enamored with learning, whether it be a new skill or fact. Take walking. Ivan took his first steps last week and has been steadily getting better at it. But what hasn't changed is that his steps are accompanied with his joyous cascading laughter. He gets such a huge thrill out of the power, independence and sense of adventure. Should we not be the same? I'm trying to learn Spanish. This is thrilling, empowering and allowing me greater independence and adventures. I love meeting new people of other cultures and I'm meeting more and more Hispanics. I'm getting to discover their ways of living, their food, traditions and celebrations. It is exciting! I should be bubbling over with laughter like Ivan, but so many times we hold it in. Well, no more. I'm at least going to say how happy and excited I am, smile more and give thanks for newness.

And I'll start right here. The other day, Ivan and I discovered something new or maybe really old. He was eating a banana and I was assisting. We were comfortable in the recliner, so when he'd finished eating, I didn't get up immediately to throw away the peel. That's when it happened. Ivan grabbed the peel and started playing with it, pulling at it and making it dance (which was pretty funny- insert laughing here). Then, of course, he tried eating it. As I explained to him that banana peels can not be eaten, that it's just the wrapper, I felt as though I was zoomed back in time to earth's early existence. I felt like the first humans wondering at the marvel of a banana, how amazing it is, how well packaged and delicious. I mean nothing man has made is as good. The peel preserves the banana until I want to eat it. It's easy enough for child, monkey or arthritic people to open. It's fully biodegradable, beautiful and even smells nice. It's full of nutricional benefits and brings healing to a body. This is reason to celebrate, to laugh, dance and sing. Over a banana, you say? Yes, over a banana! Over the love of the designer for us that he would offer such delights to us so easily. Over the thrill of seeing something so ordinary as beautiful and funny and adventurous again- just like you did when you came upon it the first time as a child.

And you know what else? Ivan even laughs when he doesn't get the skill down quite right. Today, he was walking towards me, but he wasn't balanced, so he walked sideways, laughing all the way! He walks with his arms in the air for balance too. Life is funny. Sometimes we adults just need to loosen up!

3 comments:

GMS said...

Like "they" say, Laughter really is the best medicine.
"My" old people at the nursing home love bananas, too; but I do have to open them for them or they will get all mushed.
Especially love the pictures.
Ivan's smile and laughter are contagious.

Anonymous said...

The story is great and I love reading things like that. You are right when you say adults need to loosen up a bit and they should laugh more. Would you please tell that your brother??? He complains about me from time to time that I am too childish. He likes when I laugh but not when I fool around and do some little "stupid" things.

Anyway, love the pics!

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Andrea,
Maybe my brother needs to have kids! He doesn't take advice from me too good, but I bet he will soften up with time. In fact from the sounds of it, he's already loosening up now that he has a stable job and friends and loved ones even accross the ocean ;)
love ya, angela