Thursday, October 27, 2005

the Ivan funnies vol.3


They say kids can learn to read contextually by the litterature and even road signs all around them. In that case, Ivan would learn such valuable things like add a "z" to pluralize (for example: Spinnerz, Mezamiz- "mes amis" in French, Kidz zone...) But this is my favorite Abilene sign. It is teaching Ivan "Texan". For years, when people ask me what language people speak in Canada, I've said "English", but I now see that I was wrong. They speak "Canadian" and Texans speak Texan. Like: "I might, could do that", "Can you carry me to the store?", "I'm fixing to grill me some brisket" and the proverbial "y'all". For two years I thought my friend taught in "Glad", which is what I heard when she talked, but I then found out it was "Clyde". I also asked a girl how to spell her most unique name since she said it was ShAYnon. She spelled it out (S-h-a-n-n-o-n) all the while looking at me like I was from another planet. Not another planet, ShAYnon, just another country, where they speak English!!

Here is Ivan studying up on these complex issues of language, starting with the alphabet. We're back to the question, is it "zee" or "zed", English, Canadian or Texan?


Lucky for babies, learning to eat is a whole lot easier than learning to speak, spell, write or read. Here is Ivan doing what he knows best with some ravioli. Did you know they stain? Ivan's tray will never be the same!

1 comment:

GMS said...

I just love that smile on the ravioli picture.
Language is tricky for sure. I'm sure you will
teach him well all the intricacies in time. The
environment is always a factor and learning tool.