Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Contest result?

This isn't working out as clear cut as I thought it would. I'm obviously new at this mommy business. I thought Ivan's first word would be easy to figure out, that I could record it and post it for all to hear. I still think that a first word requires that he understands what it means as opposed to making syllables. This is where the confusion all begins...

Ivan is saying "hi" (which would make Shanna the winner, but I think she heard him saying it, so that would be cheating!) However, I'm not sure if he is saying it to greet people or if he thinks it's a cool sound. He doesn't neccessarily say it when he first sees someone, but will be playing and all of a sudden says "hi".

Brian also noticed that he says "ba" a lot, which he has been doing for a while, but Brian thinks Ivan is trying to say "Saba" our dog. He often looks at her and says "ba". This would show that he undertands the meaning and Andrea would be the closest winner. Or does he have to say the full word? Several people suggested that he would say "doggie" or "dog" and ours is his favorite!

Ivan doesn't call for Smaky as Kim guessed, but I think this is his tactic so that he can "sneak" up on her (as much as a clumsy, lumbering baby can sneak) and tackle her. We have caught him on many an occasion crawling over her, laying on top of her and rough housing with her. Poor Smaky!

He also says "ma" for food, or so it seems. Which Brian thinks is appropriate since I was the first food source. Nana suggested "more" as a first word, maybe that's what "ma" means?

As for communicating non-verbally, he waves bye-bye (sometimes), which Jenni guessed. Other non-verbals, he raises up his arms for "up" (gms), gazes or grunts at his drink for "water" (pappa Terry) and shakes his head "no" (auntie lin).

Others were WAY off. Brian suggested "pizza", which Ivan does love, auntie Jen was hoping for "auntie" as a first word. Keep trying and web caming sis! And more creativity came from grandpa Ray who suggested "squirrel", the insider joke is that saying this word sends Saba into a frenzie as she tries to scare squirrels out of our yard and trees.

Thanks to everyone for guessing! I'll post a recording when something intelligeable makes it's way onto our camera!

3 comments:

GMS said...

After reading all your thorough analysis, I am still left wondering:
Who really won?
And,
What is the prize anyway?

Madame Angela Baggett said...

good questions. I'm not sure, on both counts. I'm guessing Shanna won, in which case, I have some time to make her prize, which I can't disclose yet because it will give away the prizes for the other 3 questions.

Anonymous said...

I think it's difficult to say because Ivan himself is not sure what he wants to say first. Plus the he knows what he says thing. So we should wait a little longer.