Sunday, October 23, 2005

Its a party!

We had it all planned for outside. Lots of people in a big open space, with minimal mess. But the day started cold and windy and we just couldn´t subject the crew and little ones to that. So we moved it indoors. When we moved into our home from our efficiency apartment, we thought our house was huge, but add about 30 people, 2 twister games, a craft table, a food table, a gift table and cake table, extra chairs, 48 hamburgers, 40 hotdogs and all the fixings, 5 gallons of punch and about 5 major spills with numberless minor spills, teary kids over squished finger, he hit me, I want a turn... a pile of gifts and their wrapping tissue, bags, instructions, plastic containers, music here, music there, people talking, moving, running into each other everywhere. And you´ve got yourself some party! Here it is in pictures. If you were there, you can reminisce, if you missed it, here´s a taste... just add chaos, laughter, big smiles, too much sugar and a beeming birthday boy.


The cake: top layer of chocolate (Mom's favorite) and bottom layer of coconut (one of dad's favorite's) ´cause Ivan can't tell us his favorite yet!

Lots and lots of friends! It was said at Ivan's dedication to the Lord that he would be a man of the nations. It wasn't until I was looking at the pics that I realized we had 1 and a half Canadians, Africans, Mexicans, Americans, African Americans and American Hispanics. I was a real mess trying to switch from English to Spanish to French. Ivan however had no problems communicating. He constantly had someone taking him with that winsome smile of his.



Wagon rides and games. We played twister with two boards, one oversized as well as musical squares. Ivan really enjoyed all the people, music and walking around to step on a square (assisted of course). The twister games were much more difficult. A two year old wanted to lay in the middle of the mat. Most the kids were so young they couldn't figure out which was left and right and the others got confused due to language barriers. But they had fun none the less.

Of course the favorite game was to hit the piñata. I´m not sure what we are trying to teach the kids with this one. Hit the creature and get candy? You can tell Saba is concerned with the morals involved and the delight in Ivan to hit the little paper maché dog with a stick.



Food was another hit! Burgers and hot dogs, chips, cake and 5 gallons (20 liters) of punch, which was spilled no less than 10 times I´m sure.


Ivan and his guests enjoyed the gift opening and playing. Each toy was carefully tested by eager youngsters and passed approval.


Of course the best part of a party is just being together. Now that I have become a mom, I´ve discovered the sad irony that you throw a party and lots of people come, but you don´t get a chance to barely say ¨hi¨to them. Some came early and others hung out a bit longer, so that helped. Brian had grill and talk time going so that was good too, but I wish I could be with all those same people and really get to hang out with them and visit. But I guess that is what the rest of the year is all about, not to mention all of their parties (where they are throwing together a social masterpiece and I´m dinning to my fill both in my stomach and my spirit). I hope this was a good bonding and meeting new people time for our guests. I know that our little family is blessed to know so many people we call friends and Ivan had a total blast!

3 comments:

GMS said...

Really loved the pictures and commentary!
I was afraid the weather wasn't going to co-operate because I had been checking my weather channel. Guess y'all just got all the more closeness due to
circumstances beyond your control.
Wish we could have been there.
Especially to share time with the big birthday boy.
Can't wait to hear when he is walking.

Jenni said...

Thank you so much for making us a part of Ivan's special day. We had a blast and can't wait to get together soon again. It was also so neat to meet all your neighbors. We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Wow Angela, now I call that a party. It looks like a lot of fun and I am sure that it was. Sorry that you had not so much time as you wish. But that is normal. I've been there too although I have no son (yet).