Sunday, October 09, 2005

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving (to all you canucks!)

I'm trying to piece together some kind of online festivities for this Canadian celebration. People ask me why Canadian thanksgiving is in Oct. as opposed to Nov. in the US. My guess is that the harvest is earlier up North, plus it gives you time to work off some pounds gained before Christmas??? Anyone else with a guess?



Anyways, I found some entertainment, here's Ivan giving you guys (as opposed to y'all) a drum roll. Here are some Canadian friends and family (Amy, Ivan, Crystal and my cousin Andrea who happened to be in Texas a couple of weeks ago and dropped by- We love that BTW, so drop in!!) Lastly, there are wild turkeys around here, but I'm not about to run out and find one to shoot (a picture, of course), so you'll have to make due with this smiling duck.

I guess the point is also to be thankful. I am ever so thankful for this life, for our Lover, for my husband (who just vaccuumed- what a stud, thanks ;) and for Ivan, of course. For the joy of being with him and watching him grow and sharing it with others- even if it's just electronically.

Soooooooooooo, to all you canadians, we love you, miss you and celebrate knowing you! Happy Turkey (I mean duck) Day!

3 comments:

GMS said...

I am not a canuck, but am within driving distance.
Does that count?
Anyway, thanks for keeping the posts coming.

Kimberley said...

I just returned from celebrating a family Thanksgiving, and while in Saskatoon, I read an article that explains why Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving first.

The very first Thanksgiving was celebrated in Canada in the 1500s. It was brought here by Europeans who celebrate their own version (think Oktoberfest). It has nothing at all to do with any Pilgrims.

Canadians continues to celebrate Thanksgiving in November until sometime in the 1950s when the Government moved it to the second Monday in October so that it would be separate from our Remembrance Day on November 11th (a very important holiday of it's own).

The Horn 'o' Plenty or "Cornucopia" also has origins in Canada, when farmers would fill a curved goat horn with items from the harvest.

Also, Ange is right, us Northerners do harvest a little earlier than our Neighbours South of the 49th parallel. Although this year we are a little behind with only 50% of the crops harvested.

Well, I hope that sheds a little light to everyone as to why Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving in October.

Madame Angela Baggett said...

Dem smart canucks, they think of everything! ha, ha. That is cool to know about all that. Do you think I will remember it for next year? I'd better. I've got a son to teach now. So how was that, cornucopias filled with hockey pucks and goat cheese? ok, I can remember that!

Seriously, thanks for the background.