Saturday, October 17, 2009

Should I ask?



I had told the kids to get into bed, while I went to get water. When I came to their door, it was closed. I opened it and Dominique was standing on their book nook/toy box. She looked at me, her eyes grew wide and face alarmed. She grabed her butt and jumped down, walking backwards to the bed face toward me shielding her butt. Should I ask what she was doing?

NO! Because I've been disciplining them all day and it's time to get in bed and we are all too tired to deal with another thing!! ha, ha. That's called the lazy parent, or picking your battles, whichever slant you feel like giving it that day.


We did have a good day. I took the kids to Teepee Village at a local university. The sororities each research a tribe, create a camp and display and discuss it to the hundreds of school kids that invade the campus for the occasion. What was hard was that Ivan and Dominique acted like scared kids I keep locked in their rooms! Emora wanted to be carried, so I held her and pushed the stroller while the other two hid behind my legs. After talking to a friend and hearing Ivan retell all that he had heard (so he really was listening!), I realized that it is his fear of all things new that spurred the behaviors in him and Dominique (who was following suit) and that one of the ways to help him gain confidence is to keep doing new things with him. He kept saying how he only wanted to be with our friends or do our regular things and not be around people he didn't know. But then you could tell he was excited about all the things he had learned.

2 comments:

Ian said...

All of life is an adventure.

GMS said...

It's great you venture out but also that the kids have your legs to hide behind for security.